Registering for a Master's Degree

Please bring the originals of the following documents:

  • Passport or birth certificate/proof of citizenship combined with an ID-card
  • School-leaving certificate or equivalent certificate
  • If transferring from another Austrian university, you will also need to bring: Confirmation of Withdrawal and Record of Studies
  • Application for recognition of equivalence
  • For master's degrees held in english: IELTS (minimum 6 points) or TOEFL ibt (minimum 80 points) or TOEFL pbt (minimum 550 points)

1.) Check the equivalence of your bachelor's degree: Anabin

Status H+ : acknowledged university
Status H+/- : unsure status. Contact admission(at)
Status H- : not an acknowledged university. Confirmation of admission will not be accepted.

2.)  Check if your documents need an authentication:
Ministry of Education: Authentication

The austrian authority in charge is the Austrian Embassy.
Authentication by Apostille

3.) Foreign Documents need to be translated into German or English by a certified translator, and legally certified.

..are obliged to take a German test upon arrival in Leoben.

Find more information here.

! The usual admission procedure does not apply !

1.) To ease the admission process, make sure you pre-register.

2.) Once you show evidence of the above mentioned documents at the Registrar's Office (first floor, main building) you will receive registration folder and a form, which you will need to fill in in order to complete your admission.

You will initially be enrolled for a bachelor's degree. Once the responsible professor and the Dean have examined your documents and agreed that you shall be enrolled, can you begin your master's degree, and re-enroll yourself.

3.) The students' union membership fee [ÖH-Beitrag] needs to be paid as quickly as possible. You must use your reference number for the payment to be made.

4.) Once the transaction has gone through (2-3 working days), you can sign into your MU-Online account and sign-up for classes. For the first access to your MU-Online account, you will need the pincode given to you at registration.

This pin is only valid for 7 days!

If your pin has expired, you can get a new one from the Registrar`s Office. A manual on how to do this can be found in the userguide.