Admission - International Students
Degrees at Montanuniversität begin in the winter and summer semester. However, it is best to begin in the winter semester.
The application for admission has to reach the university at least
by September 5 for the winter semester (date of receipt)
by February 5 for the summer semester (date of receipt)
of each year complete with all necessary documents.
Students can only be enrolled and matriculated during the matriculation periods. There are no exceptions to this rule!
Applicants for the summer term 2019 have to submit a proof of German language proficiency at level A2 at the time of applying. Certificates may not be older than 2 years.
We accept the following certificates:
- Austrian Language Diploma - ÖSD Zertifikat A2
- Goethe-Institut's Certificate - Goethe-Zertifikat A2
- German Language Diploma (Level I) of the German Standing Conference of Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs - Deutsches Sprachdiplom DSD I
- German Language Test for Higher Education - Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang DSH A2
If you apply for being admitted to a master's program after having completed a bachelor degree at a foreign university or for doctoral studies after having completed a master's degree at a foreign university and your university diploma is not considered equivalent, then you will have to take supplementary examinations of the bachelor program or master program at Leoben before being admitted to the intended studies.
You will be informed together with the admission notification.
The secondary school leaving certificates of the following persons are treated equal to ones issued in Austria:
- persons who enjoy privileges and diplomatic immunities in Austria and persons who stay abroad on behalf of the Republic of Austria at the time they obtain their school leaving certificates, and at the same time enjoy privileges and diplomatic immunity, as well as their spouses and children
- accredited journalists from abroad who have their main working interests in Austria, as well as their spouses and children
- persons who have their main living interests in Austria for at least five continuous years immediately before applying for admission, or who have at least one person legally responsible for the applicants alimony, for whom this applies
- persons who receive a scholarship for the chosen field of studies, whether through bilateral agreements or from funds of an Austrian territorial authority
- persons with secondary school leaving certificates of Austrian International Schools
- conventional refugees
- persons seeking asylum
- citizens of Southern Tyrol, Liechtenstein, Luxemburg
All documents must be submitted in the original, first authenticated by the responsible institution in the country where they were issued (Ministry for Foreign Affairs) and finally authenticated by the Austrian representative authority in the country of issue (Austrian Embassy).
Documents written in foreign languages have to be translated into German. These translations also have to be authenticated by the institution in the country of issue and the Austrian representative authority.
Authentication – Africa, India, Mongolia, Pakistan, Syria, Iran, Iraq:
Documents can only be authenticated after verification of the documents by a lawyer authorized by the Austrian embassy responsible for the home country. The owner of the documents has to come in person to the embassy. Therefore an appointment has to be made.
In case of an intended future application for a visa, residence permit etc, it is recommended to supply all the necessary documents for that purpose and to have them checked altogether in order to save expenses for future procedures. For identification it is important to provide school documents, baptism- and hospital-birth documents.
The questionnaire has to be filled in completely and correctly and has to be originally signed and submitted in original.
All relevant documents have to be submitted in original and copy.
The lawyer fee for verification has to be paid directly and in cash at the embassy.
The procedure of verification can take several weeks. To facilitate a quick processing, a completely and correctly filled questionnaire and submission of all relevant documents is absolutely necessary. Wrong or missing statements or documents will result in considerable delay of the procedure.
Original documents issued in one of the following countries do not need authentication:
Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Kosovo, Liechtenstein, Macedonia, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden
Documents issued in one of the following countries merely need authentication by form of an apostille from the respective national authority:
Albania, Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Botswana, Brunei Darussalam, China - only Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong and Macao, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Denmark, Dominica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Fiji, Georgia, Greece, Grenada, Guyana, Honduras, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Japan, Kazakhstan, Korea, Republic of, Latvia, Lesotho, Liberia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malawi, Malta, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mozambique, Namibia, New Zealand, Niue, Panama, Peru, Portugal, Russian Federation, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, São Tomé and Principe, Seychelles, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Spain, Suriname, Swaziland, Switzerland, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, Ukraine, Vanuatu, Venezuela, United Kingdom, United States, Zimbabwe
International students looking for a home away from home have a wide number of student halls to choose from. Please note that Montanuniversität Leoben however is not responsible for finding or providing accommodation.
Please note that Montanuniversität Leoben does not grant scholarships to international students, only a (partial) refund of tuition fees if requirements are met (for detailed information go toInformation on Tuition Fees).